Dogs

5 Weird Human Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs

5 Weird Human Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs

Are apples safe for dogs? Are carrots safe for dogs? Are blueberries toxic to dogs? Can dogs have melon? Find out what human foods are toxic for dogs here…

It’s hard to avoid giving your dog your food, especially when they give you those cute, infamous puppy eyes! But, some snacks that we humans can enjoy without a worry can be very toxic to dogs, so it’s worth knowing the major ones to avoid letting near your doggo!

If you think your dog has had any one of these foods, we recommend contacting your vet.

Is chocolate toxic for dogs?

Chocolate, in the same way that caffeine does, has a stimulating ingredient called Theobromine, which is toxic for dogs to consume. It’s found in all chocolate: milk, white and dark chocolate, with the highest dosage being in dark.

After digesting, the effects of chocolate can show from 4 to 24 hours in your dog, and can have detrimental effects on the nervous system, kidneys, heart and gut. The symptoms to look for include diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, abnormal heart rate, frequent urination and seizures.

If you notice your dog showing any of these symptoms after they have eaten chocolate, you need to take action immediately.

Read more on Why Chocolate Is So Toxic For Dogs here.

Are grapes, sultanas & raisins toxic for dogs?

Grapes and raisins are known to have detrimental effects on your dog’s kidneys, even causing kidney failure. This includes foods like mince pies, fruit cake and hot cross buns. Unfortunately, there’s no clear link between the size of your pup and the amount eaten when determining the seriousness of grape poisoning in doggos. This means it’s best to keep them out of reach of your dog completely.

If you’re concerned your dog has consumed grapes, sultanas and raisins, make sure to contact your vet pronto. 

Are onions, garlic & chives toxic for dogs?

These are more dangerous for cats to eat than dogs, but can still be toxic if large amounts are consumed by your pooch, whether in powder, cooked or raw form.

Onions contain a substance called thiosulfate, which dogs don’t have the ability to digest. You can imagine how uncomfortable their stomachs will feel!

When dogs consume onions or garlic, the food might kill a large number of red blood cells, which can lead to anemia. If your dog eats a substantial amount, signs you will need to look out for are weakness, vomiting or breathing problems. At worst, consuming large amounts of onion can cause red blood cell damage in your dog, but gastrointestinal irritation is more likely.

If your pooch has consumed a sizeable amount of onions, garlic or chives, consult their veterinarian as soon as possible, then they can carry out any necessary procedures

Is xylitol/sweetener toxic for dogs?

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in a lot of human food products. If a dog were consume xylitol it can even have deadly effects, as well as a rapid decline in blood sugar and permanent liver damage. It can also cause an increase in insulin, resulting in hypoglycaemia, symptoms being lethargy, vomiting and loss of coordination. The smaller your dog, the less xylitol it needs to consume in order for it to have dangerous implications.

You need to act fast if your dog has digested xylitol, as it can take effect as quickly as 30 minutes after consumption. Symptoms will continue to show up to 12 hours after. Your veterinarian will diagnose the seriousness of it, but treatment will probably require hospitalization.

Are salty foods toxic for dogs?

If your dog has consumed large amounts of salt it can result in sodium ion poisoning. Due to the dehydrating effects of salt, consumption of a salty snack can cause excessive thirst and urination. In severe cases, symptoms can additionally include vomiting, diarrhea and a high temperature. It can even cause fatality in extreme cases.

The first thing to do if you know your dog has eaten a salty food is to give them a large bowl of water. Rehydrating them is the first step towards avoiding salt poisoning. As soon as you’ve done that, call the vet. In some circumstances hospitalization may be necessary for treatment, but the veterinarian can help diagnose how serious the situation is.

Are oranges safe for dogs? Are boiled eggs good for dogs? Can you give dogs peanut butter? Can I give my dog banana? Is sugar bad for dogs?

For a handy list of all foods that are toxic for dogs, we’ve put together a table of all known foods that they can't eat:

Related Reads

5 More Common Foods That Can Be Fatal For Dogs

Do You Really Know What Your Dog Should Be Eating?

Checking Your Dogs Poop Could Save Their Life

MEET THE AUTHOR

Sarah Milton

Comes from a family of animal lovers and got to grow up with a menagerie of pets! I believe owning a pet is a privilege and I love researching and creating informative, fun content for fellow pet owners to help their furry friends have the happiest and healthiest lives. When I’m not writing blogs, you can find me sharing a walk with my pet dachshund or at a yoga class!



You Might Also Like...

Can My Dog Eat Apples?
January 26, 21 All

Can My Dog Eat Apples?

Are Apples Good For Dogs To Eat? Estimated Read Time: 4 minutes   So, you’re biting into a delicious, juicy apple and find two big eyes staring at you with...
12 Harmful Mistakes You're Making Without Realizing It!
January 04, 21 All

12 Harmful Mistakes You're Making Without Realizing It!

Don't Fall Victim To These Common Mistakes! Estimated Read Time: 8 minutes   Being a puppy parent has its ups and downs. Every poop pick-up, rainy walk, or stinky dog-breath...
Dog Drinking Water: What’s Too Much & What’s Too Little?
January 13, 21 All

Dog Drinking Water: What’s Too Much & What’s Too Little?

How Much Water Should A Dog Drink? Estimated Read Time: 6 minutes Like humans, dogs need to drink water every day. If they don't, your dog could suffer dehydration! Dogs...